Thursday, April 5, 2007

HeLp On CoLoUr Of KiTcHeN

 o
Need help w/renovation of small kitchen, colors etc




Hi, Please help me wih deciding what colors to use in my rather small l shaped kitchen. I have decided on granite countertops, ceramic floors and possibly but not necessarily stainless appliances. My other preference for appliances would be black. The only thing I am keeping in the kitchen is the red brick surround for the range I had never really cared for white cabinets but do you think they would really open up the space. If I go with white cabinets, then what color floor and countertops. Any and all suggestions are welcome-Ihave a whole houseful of renovations ahead of me but the kitchen has me beat. P.S does anyone think I could use some of the tin ceiling which is being torn out as a possible backsplash. I would like to mix the old with the nw a bit. Thanks a lot.



Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Need help w/renovation of small kitchen, colors etc



It sounds like a charming space to work with. By all means save some of that ceiling for the backsplash! Paint and perhaps antique it to bring out the design. One thing I'd ask before suggesting any colors is "what type of style are you after?" I'm guessing maybe this is a bit of a "country" kitchen?


I will tell you what my mind instantly saw when I read this. Natural cherry, with a countertop in a blackish shade that would flow comfortably with the brick. A few country accents like that backsplash in an antiqued cream or tan or even a gold, antiqued to soften it. Baskets instead of doors in a few of the cabinets. Antique bronze fixtures and copper...lots of copper :) Walls in a dry brushed technique or a lovely ventian plaster, using a color that will end in a soft gold or yellowish finish. (That's not bright yellow but more of a honey finish).




Stainless or black appliances.




Have I gotten carried away yet? Oh! As to the "small" issue. Embrace it....use words like COZY instead of small. White and bright gets so septic. Cozy is so much more fun!

No comments: